Simple Tips for Managing Paediatric Dental Anxiety
Posted by We C Kids on Feb 17 2023, 09:48 PM
Dental anxiety is a fear of the dentist. Dental anxiety is common, but it shouldn't be ignored. Dental anxiety can lead to poor oral health, missed appointments, and dental emergencies. If dental anxiety is preventing your child from seeking proper dental care, we have some tips for helping them overcome their anxiety.
- Starting your child off right at their first dental appointment is super important! These first appointments are where the Doctor and hygienist will get to know you and your child's smiles. This is the perfect time to dispel any myths about the dentist's office and get your child excited about their future dental visits. They may even learn a thing or two about how to properly take care of their teeth! Children who start seeing a dentist at a young age are less likely to develop anxiety around the dentist's office later on. Seeing the dentist regularly as a child helps a child get used to visiting the dentist and can help avoid problems in the future.
- Talk to a child about an upcoming dental visit. Ask your child if they have any questions about the upcoming appointment, and assure them that they are going to be okay. You can even take your child to a pediatric dental office so they can see that it's fun to visit the dentist's office.
- Encourage positive thinking. Sometimes, just a positive attitude can help relieve anxiety and stress. Remind your child that the dental visit is nothing to fear and that the staff will be there to help.
- Take your own comfort items to the appointment with you. Items such as a favorite blanket, stuffed animal, or toy can be brought along to provide some extra support and comfort during a dental visit.
- Use books, games, TV programs, and other educational resources to help prepare children for their first dentist visit and make them feel more comfortable around dental care professionals. These resources can also help ease fears about how painful they actually are and help them have a positive outlook on their upcoming dental visit.
- With a little bit of preparation and reassurance, you can help your child overcome their fear of the dentist. Our staff will do their best to keep your child comfortable and at ease during their dental visit.
For pediatric dental exams, visit We C Kids at 10643 Valley Blvd Suite A/B, El Monte, CA 91731. Contact us at (626) 628-2424 or visit our website to schedule an appointment.