A Pediatric Dentist focuses on the dental needs of kids and adolescents. It is the dentistry branch that deals with children's oral health care from birth through to adolescence. Their primary expertise is on preventing, diagnosing, and treating diseases and conditions of the oral cavity and maxillofacial area of young children. A pediatric dentist's overall aim is to help their young patients sustain healthy mouth teeth gums and inculcate healthy lifelong dental hygiene.
'Pediatric' dentistry involves a wide range of approaches to help provide a child the much-needed dental treatment. It is always a challenging situation to handle young kids when they are in extreme tooth pain. They display severe mood swings and are very tough to handle. Hence pediatric dentists have to display great patience and practical techniques to treat and eliminate their pain.
What is the importance of Pediatric Dentistry?
Oral hygiene is an integral part of the overall health of a person. Oral health care should commence as soon as their child gets their first tooth. They advise that a child should have their first dental visit when he turns one. Early oral hygiene habits will develop solid teeth and gums of the child throughout life. A pediatric dentist can help a child with long-term problems and lifelong complications. Milk teeth will come off at a particular stage, but the important ones are the permanent teeth which need exceptional care.
Pediatric dentists have unique skills and expertise to treat oral diseases in infants, children, and teens. Consulting a single dentist from the beginning will help you in getting the proper treatment for your child. The dentist will know the child's history and treat him accordingly instead of adopting a new procedure every other time. The child will also be saved from the additional pain, and he will become familiar with the doctor, and their bond will get stronger, resulting in a better understanding. This familiarity with the same dentist will help the successful treatment of the child and creates no worries for parents.
What are the services delivered by a pediatric dentist?
Pediatric dentists deliver complete oral health care that includes the following:
- They provide detailed infant oral health examinations that include risk assessment for cavities.
- Tooth cavities or other defects are repaired.
- They extend counseling and treatments for detrimental habits such as pacifier use and thumb sucking.
- Their services include preventative dental care, including cleaning and fluoride treatments, as well as nutrition and diet modifications.
- Orthodontic procedures for teeth straightening and correction of an improper bite are also performed.
- Diagnosis of dental conditions connected with diseases like diabetes, congenital heart defects, asthma, and attention deficit syndromes.
- Pediatric dentists also support the management of gum diseases, ulcers, and pediatric periodontal diseases.
- Immediate care for dental injuries like fractured, displaced, or knocked-out teeth.
Call us at We C Kids Dental, Kids Dentist or schedule an online appointment to know more about Pediatric Dentistry.