Children are more susceptible to dental caries than adults. This is because of their tendency to consume a lot of sugary foods and drinks, which are the primary cause of cavities. The good news is that tooth decay can be prevented or treated with a combination of proper oral hygiene and routine dental visits.
Why is Oral Hygiene Important?
Even the most diligent oral hygiene at home cannot replace the thorough cleaning and exam that a child receives during a regular pediatric dental visit. A child's mouth contains a diverse range of bacteria that can cause cavities, gum disease, and bad breath. The bacteria thrive in areas where the teeth meet gums, causing cavities or other problems in the future.
What are the Symptoms of Cavities?
The most common symptoms of cavities are:
- Sensitivity to hot and cold foods
- Foul breath
- Mild pain when chewing food
- Severe pain accompanied by swelling and fever if the infection reaches the root canal of the tooth.
What are the Causes of Cavities in Children?
The primary cause of cavities in children is consuming sugary foods or drinks regularly. The microbes from such foods get deposited on the teeth, releasing acids that erode the protective enamel coating. Over time, this causes a cavity that needs to be treated using fluoride-based toothpaste or dental fillings. Other reasons for cavities include:
- Inherited dental problems such as enamel hypoplasia and dentin defects like dentin dysplasia, porous teeth, etc.
- Gum diseases like gingivitis or periodontitis could result in tooth decay due to the release of harmful bacteria in the mouth.
- The consumption of sugary drinks or eating sugary foods at bedtime is one of the most common causes of cavities in children.
- Other causes include thumb sucking, chewing on pencils, improper brushing or flossing techniques, etc.
For more information about Kids Dentist in Monterey Park, CA, call our office at (626) 628-2424 or schedule an online appointment. Visita ahora a nuestro dentista para niños.